-->

Friday, March 23, 2018

#27: Pacific Rim: Uprising




This month, Festibration came in with a brightly colored bang, continued with a terribly accented whimper, and ends with a pretty entertaining metal roar.

Pacific Rim Uprising stars John Boyega, Rinko Kikuchi, and some other people.


I was pretty impressed with Cailee Spaeney, I thought she would be another girl with too many vowels in her name who paid her way in, somehow, but she did a good job. I liked her physicality, like she could do that shit when it came to beating up some kids.

Every time he wasn't on the screen, I forgot Scott Eastwood's character was even there. For such a nothing role, you needed someone with personality and spark, not an upgraded background character.

The CGI didn't look fabulous, especially being in the daytime, but there's only so real I expect giant robots and monsters to look. I could follow all the action.

Playing with the world lent to some interesting outcomes, especially the earth-born Kaiju and Newt and that....thing. That alone makes me hope for a sequel.

A few lines fall totally flat, complete duds, the third act is its best, and the robot fights don't overstay their welcome.

I saw zero reason to kill of Mako (Rinko Kikuchi) for the man-pain of Jake (John Boyega). Maybe, maybe for a character we knew from the first movie, but to have a random guy come in and just delegate her to pain fodder made me mad.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy, but don't be a dick either.

5 Kung Fu Panda 4

 I'm such a big fan of the first one, but ... They made this out of a studio mandate and completely stripped the character from it. The ...