-->

Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Book Look: Star vs. The Forces of Evil; The Magic Book of Spells

Reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated.




Featuring fourteen entries of fourteen Queens of Mewni, with plenty of beautiful illustrations, lore, and clear, distinct voices for each.



This book is huge. I expected something in the vein of the size of a Wimpy Kid book. This is a glorified artbook with how large and well - made it is.

 I read it in the bookstore before ordering it from Target, and some of the queenly portraits near the end are printed a bit blurrily.

The slipcover is a tarot board (?) that you use in conjunction with cards you cut out in Selena's section.


I didn't know this until I got my copy! How insanely cool!

I'm not going to photograph every detail of every queen. Buy the book.

Every chapter (Sans Glossaryk) starts with a very nice set of splash pages; The other side would show a short poem.




A picture of the Queen's wand with details about materials and the millhorse that powers it;


Star's old wand.


Rhina the Riddled's Millhorses for her Rubik's Cube Wand.


Her story.


Eclipsa's story.

And spells she created.


Cresenta's dual-spells. Efficiency. I like it!



The text is really hard to read for quite a few of these sections for me, it takes time to get used to it. And yes, this is Eclipsa's chapter where she rates monsters on a date-ability scale.


Festivia literally tweeted her reign. 


Cresenta put in a puppet monarchy for the monsters that she elected on the sly. That's like US Imperialism 101!


Also she has a canon girlfriend.

Selena's chapter is aesthetically pleasing.


There are sections written in Low Mewmian;


A good soul on the Subreddit has translated these into readable text.

The art is also super beautiful at points. This is from Solaria's chapter.


So, Mina Loveberry is very, very old. Probably from this magic spell that Solaria used to make Super Soldiers.


These illustrations actually go away after Eclipsa's chapter and are more in the bright style of the show. I guess only real Butterfly royalty gets nice black and white photos.

Overall, for the price I paid (8.99$) it's beyond worth it, and even for the price you'll pay (19.99$), it's a great buy and a relative steal. If there was a second volume featuring queens before Skywynne, I'd get that too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy, but don't be a dick either.

5 Kung Fu Panda 4

 I'm such a big fan of the first one, but ... They made this out of a studio mandate and completely stripped the character from it. The ...