-->

Sunday, March 25, 2018

#28: Phantom Boy



Pop-art esque undead ghosts fight Picasso crime. 

From the studio - Folimage - that bought us A Cat in Paris.

I'm starting to add in the posters or screenshots of the movies to not only give it some visual flair, but because this is one of the coolest posters I have ever seen.

It has the same narrative style as that film too; Here's an ordinary family with a young child going through a hardship...meanwhile, someone else is involved with a crime, and the two groups are going to come together.

Note: There are mild spoilers for A Cat in Paris.

Mind, the crime is better in Paris, where it's an entanglement between a widowed detective, her daughter, the robber who killed the husband and yes, the cat.

The art style and animation remind me very strongly of computer games in the 90's. Flat, little detail, but warm, off the wall, and inviting.

I need to revisit Cat, but I don't remember feeling that way there besides being just charmed by the style.

One of the men from Supernatural voices the lead cop and he does a pretty good job. I'm strongly reminded of Aang from "The Last Airbender" (Which I am also recapping, hello!) whenever Leo, the main character, talks.

Oh, but once again, we enter the realm of vaguely computer-sounding things that don't work quite as neatly as in real life, but I will overlook it because this story isn't hinged on being totally technical.

The ending nearly gutted me, presenting, if you will, two different kinds of potential death.

Guess we'll have to wait until 2020 to see what Folimage gives us next.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy, but don't be a dick either.

5 Kung Fu Panda 4

 I'm such a big fan of the first one, but ... They made this out of a studio mandate and completely stripped the character from it. The ...