-->

Thursday, April 19, 2018

#36: WALL-E



I'm less impressed with this now than I was when it came out.

 I will give it one point in that despite the main characters clearly alluding to typical gender conventions (Curves are for women, angles are for guys), EVE's design is pretty cool. The other robots are pretty ambiguous but I guess Pixar didn't expect an American audience to attach itself to some that's not vaguely shaped like an organic lifeform.

"A love story between robots," No, it's just a typical story about a lonely guy bothering a woman trying to do her job but with a lot less creepy stalking factor because, you know, for kids.

It's not as "Technology is bad," as one would expect, but it's there.

I just really find nothing charming about this movie except the "voicework" and the little cleaning robot on the Axiom. I'm not angry this won Best Animated Feature over my favorite movie of all time, but.... the story does nothing for me, trite, typical, and empty are how I describe it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy, but don't be a dick either.

5 Kung Fu Panda 4

 I'm such a big fan of the first one, but ... They made this out of a studio mandate and completely stripped the character from it. The ...