-->

Sunday, April 1, 2018

#29: Peter Rabbit (2018)


Cute rabbits trespass on an asshole's property and ruin their surrogate mother's life.
T
This is not a joke.

This movie stars Elizabeth Debicki, Daisy Ridley, Margot Robbie, General Hux, and some other people.

And is...considerably better than I had expected it to be.

We all had our reservations when the trailers came out, I remember reading the comment "Why can't someone just adapt Peter Rabbit the way Beatrix Potter wrote it?"

And... honestly, I'm not super up to date on the Peter Rabbit lore, but none of this felt horribly modernized besides London and that's not a big part of the story.

I don't recall seeing a television, or a phone, or any piece of tech besides a modern car.

Oh, and the rapping birds. That was weird.


 I liked some of the snappily written dialogue for McGregor, I relate very heavily to "I don't hate the countryside, I just think it's disgusting."

Camerawork was different than the usual live-action hybrid movie - sometimes it would get damaged or knocked around.

The CGI animals were surprisingly well done, maybe once or twice did I feel that this was clearly fake, but even with little coats and jackets, I had a hard time thinking they weren't real. Though there is one point where the rabbits are more or less in plain sight of a man who walks by as if they aren't even there...but, as the scene was filmed, they weren't there.

The other animals involvement died down after about the first half, which worked for me. The rabbit sisters, Flopsy, Mopsy, and Cottontail were absolutely hilarious. "Honestly, I just look for the buttons...one time, I thought I saw them, but those were just your nipples."

There's also a bit of the old artwork in the movie, passed off as 'artwork' of Bea, but it's really just storybook images pasted onto very glossy paper that isn't fooling anyone, but it is nice to see it and the small homages.

Get rid of the slapstick humor and this studio could probably make a decent Redwall adaptation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy, but don't be a dick either.

5 Kung Fu Panda 4

 I'm such a big fan of the first one, but ... They made this out of a studio mandate and completely stripped the character from it. The ...