-->

Saturday, April 7, 2018

#30: A Quiet Place



A better Cloverfield movie than the one with Cloverfield in the name.

I'm surprised it took us this long this year to see a movie with Emily Blunt this year.

Hey what about Sherlock Gnomes?Quiet.

She's one of those people I like who always does slightly off the wall stuff. Including, last year's My Little Pony The Movie, which did not have nearly as much charm as the TV show, but it did look a hell of a lot nicer.

And she SUNG there! Not here though!

I should watch Gulliver's Travels one day. It's also time to revisit Edge of Tomorrow.

At least Warner Brothers wants to give us ONE sequel to a slightly over performing cult classic.

But for now, we're in...a quiet place.


This is like if American Fable wasn't dumb. And this is Krasinski's first movie, though it didn't get me like Get Out did.

Understandable. One is about the insidious, creeping horror of American racism, and the other is A Quiet Place.

It's not the most creative premise, and it took about thirty minutes for it to really get going for me.

Camera choices are mostly uninspired, though there are a few good ones. It's not 100% dreary.

As much as I like Emily, I was never sold on the moments where she had to be stoic in previous movies (mainly The Huntsman Winter's War - no one came out good in that movie), and sort of kind of in this one, until she's all alone in her house and has to deal with... things.

I don't want to spoil them, but I was very impressed.

You see a glimpse of the monster as it eats one of their children in the beginning, and it looks so cartoonishly silly in that instance that I wasn't sold that this was going to be that scary.

But then you see the monsters a lot more often, and they're interestingly designed, with heads that kind of open like those tables with the levers that fold on itself and extend.

EDIT: My friend forwarded me an article about the design of the monsters, knowing that the movie that inspired their movement is one of my favorites;
They are absolutely aliens. They’re from another planet. Where I developed the idea of them and what I wanted them to look like was most alien movies are about takeovers, agendas, they’re a thinking alien creature, and for me this idea of a predator, this idea of a parasite, this idea of something that is introduced into an ecosystem [was interesting].
One of my favorite movies I love to watch is RocknRolla and they tell that whole story about the crawfish in the Thames and that’s what I mean, the introduction of something that can’t be held back.
"Hey, the movement of these monsters was inspired by a low-budget British gangster film that needs a sequel."

This is going to play very well in Middle America - and why shouldn't it. I like how the family has to go back to basics, and because of the heavy sci-fi element, there's really no assumptions just because they have a shotgun and a grain silo that they hate minorities or something.

Of course, even in the event of an alien invasion, you just can't deny your nature - letting your children wander around alone, or getting pregnant.

Could this get awards traction? I don't think so, its problems are big enough to be noted and talked about at length before award season. I'm not going to say horror does not make it to the Academy Awards, but it needs to have a social aspect. Think last year's Get Out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy, but don't be a dick either.

5 Kung Fu Panda 4

 I'm such a big fan of the first one, but ... They made this out of a studio mandate and completely stripped the character from it. The ...