-->

Monday, October 30, 2017

Disney Release Dates 2018 - 2019


 Okay, this is a little late. Read; about a month and a half late. But it's still news, since none of these dates have come to pass / the entire point of this blog was to be movie-oriented, not just about kid's media.





Considering Force Awakens and Last Jedi have (or, will) be released in December, this is unsurprising. I'd like if they kept the anthologies in May and left the real story to December.

I'm not super jazzed on these anthologies. I disliked Rogue One and could not care less about Han Solo, and am only semi-interested in Obi-Wan.

Give me my Handmaidens of Naboo / Ahsoka Tano x Asajj Ventress / Luminara Unduli x Shaak Ti standalone you cowards!

Also - ICYMI, they cast this movie during D23 this year. And -


http://variety.com/2017/film/news/aladdin-will-smith-naomi-scott-jasmine-cast-mena-massoud-d23-1202496767/

Mena Massoud is our Aladdin. Sure! There's nothing to say as he hasn't really done anything.

I'm concerned about Will Smith as Genie. Not that he will do a bad job, but because people are not going to let his performance stand separate to Robin Williams, they're going to keep comparing the two, and it's going to get irritating as all fuck.

Naomi Scott is Jasmine. For the five other people who saw Power Rangers (2017) besides myself, she was the Pink Ranger, the girl who tagged along with Whiteboy. I don't remember the character names.

I had no idea she was anything but white until she was cast. Then I read she's part Indian!
This does not mean that she's any less Indian, and the hate that was tweeted at her was just abysmal and uncalled for. ...but I do wish they had cast a darker woman to be Jasmine.
It will depend on the lighting because I have seen a video of her on a talkshow where it's more obvious she's not wholly white, but still.

My fingers are still crossed like a motherfucker that Ritchie leaves leaves this project. I don't dislike him, and truthfully - his style for the action would work wonderfully for the action scenes, and I think his writing would actually not be bad for Jasmine.

But two reasons -

A brown director could have directed this. Mira Nair directed the criminally ignored Queen of Katwe (2016) (which was also made by Disney), and this would have been a great opportunity for another person.

As stated above, I don't think he would be a bad fit. But I do think there are more pressing movies in his own "canon" that he could be making sequels to instead of a rehash of a Disney movie.

People asking for a live action Aladdin movie that do not work at Disney: 0
People asking for a sequel to Rocknrolla: Hundreds of thousands!
People asking for a sequel to The Man From Uncle: Who cares?
I swear to god, I legitimately cried when I read this. Artemis Fowl is one of those book series that is near and dear to me and my childhood, right up there with Harry Potter, Mistmantle, Redwall, Cirque Du Freak, and Percy Jackson.

Disney had the rights for ages, but...I just never thought it would come to pass! This is supposed to encompass the first three books I believe, which means there will be some serious editing and condensation.

I'm fine with that - frankly, my favorite book was always number four - The Opal Deception. And if we get that eventually, great!

Sir Kenneth Branagh is still directing, with hopes of signing Judi Dench on. I was wondering what her role would be, and good people on r/movies pointed out that it could be Vinyaya, an older female member on the Council in the stories.

Open casting calls around Ireland for Artemis himself are still going on. I was hoping for the boy from (gosh, look at that, another criminally ignored film), A Monster Calls (2016).


It's a Christmas movie about the daughter of Santa Claus, played by Anna Kendrick. I don't have a strong opinion about her as an actress, but I enjoy her singing voice, so I Hope this is a musical.
Probably slated for Disney's personal streaming service. Frankly, it wasn't going to get much traction at the box office, so maybe it was best. As someone who adores the weird, magic and fantasy live action movies they do (outside of the MCU), I'm disappointed that there's no firm word on it's future, because I was looking forward to it.
Not the  same thing as Goodbye Christopher Robin, which should be out fairly soon. If it's in the vein of Saving Mr. Banks (2013), then I'm about it, because I loved that movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy, but don't be a dick either.

5 Kung Fu Panda 4

 I'm such a big fan of the first one, but ... They made this out of a studio mandate and completely stripped the character from it. The ...