-->

Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Film in 2017: I Rolled the Dice and got THREE Guy Ritchie Movies in A Row

#80: Sherlock Holmes, #77: The Man From Uncle & #35: Rocknrolla




Why did I watch so many of this man's movies?

The only one that wasn't a rewatch was Sherlock Holmes.

I liked it well enough, the twist on the titular character, though I did spend a lot of time wondering what it would be like if Jude Law was Sherlock instead. Let's be honest, this was Tony Stark with a sweater and a pipe brawling in the alleyways, what's so different about that.

But it's a twist on the original material that makes a lot of sense and fits Ritchie's style wonderfully. This is possibly the only film of his where he adapted some material and it really fits nicely.

 I can't attest for King Arthur, but let's be honest.




I have a confession; I don't hate the movie, for the first hour or so, I really dig it, but as a whole, what everyone else sees in The Man From Uncle is completely lost on me.

It's a beautiful movie - This man knows how to stage the look of a film. I wonder if he uses the same cinematographer in each movie.

I felt like Ritchie's 'take it back, over here, flashback that shows what a villain was doing eight hours ago that's vaguely related to the plot' style (and believe me, it's a style) really did this a disservice.

He takes detours when telling a story.

 Especially in Rocknrolla, he really jumps around there because there are about ten characters and we need to see the backstory for about eight of them and it gets really jumbled and kind of stops in its tracks at points. One of the main characters does not come into the movie until about thirty minutes in. It feels like a very bloody Powerpoint.

The color palette is muddy (It's only brown, orange, beige, and black)

This is my favorite of his movies.

How jumbled is it? Well, a painting gets stole from a mobster because he borrowed it from a Russian (?) gangster he was doing an illegal real estate deal with in London and three other gangsters, one of whom is gay and one of the other ones is like "Hey m8 quit being a bigot,", and all three are sent to find it by a woman who works for him who is a beard for someone and the painting goes through a fair amount of people before ending up in the hands of the mobster's stepson who is now a crack addicted rockstar.

I more than likely missed something.

 You just have to pay really close attention.

AND I WANT A SEQUEL.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy, but don't be a dick either.

5 Kung Fu Panda 4

 I'm such a big fan of the first one, but ... They made this out of a studio mandate and completely stripped the character from it. The ...