-->

Saturday, February 10, 2018

#12: The Female Brain


If I made a movie that made me a self insert lead (and turned myself white, somehow)




I think there are good points it makes, especially with (ok no one is actually going to watch this so here's a spoiler) how there's nothing wrong with how women feel and act on instinct, it's just that society makes us feel bad for acting 'naturally'.

And that you can't judge people based upon - hey wait a minute, the fact is the lead never seemed to use the scientific method, or introduce variables into her science. How do transgender people factor into her research? I wouldn't imagine too variantly, trans men are men and trans women are women.

I put that in quotes because I can't attest to how scientific this entire movie is. It feels so cobbled and hackneyed, like various powerpoints were shoved into one movie and chopped to high hell, and they intersperse these slides with these tiny asides about the 'science' and it just breaks the flow so badly.

There's like eight or ten people in this movie and four stories and I'd only be able to remember about two people at a time because everyone was just kind of stereotyped and unremarkable.

It's occasionally pretty damn funny and no one is awful at the acting.  It's not Toby's best (he's the only reason I wanted to see this and thus, is in this challenge), but it's a direct to VOD rom com, I'm not expecting greatness, dear.

I will give Blake Griffin credit - he has good timing and could be pretty capable as a comedic actor. Hey, I hope he gets that Space Jam sequel lead!

This would actually be better as a HBO mini series or something instead of an hour and a half movie because I do think there's the seeds of something decent here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy, but don't be a dick either.

5 Kung Fu Panda 4

 I'm such a big fan of the first one, but ... They made this out of a studio mandate and completely stripped the character from it. The ...