-->

Monday, January 29, 2018

#8: Roman Holiday



Charm essential.

I'm not big on old classic movies - my limit was a short French film from 1898 or something about a vampire - I'm a very future-looking toward person.

But when Roman Holiday was set to air, I had to check out a legendary film.





The black and white shots of Rome, especially at night, are just beautiful, even though this copy clearly isn't remastered for clarity.

It's not a very complicated plot if you look at it from a certain point of view, there is really a lot of treachery and deceit for something intended as a romantic romp through Rome.

You know, I think this is the first and only Audrey Hepburn movie I've ever seen. It's very charming, but I don't think the personalities sparkle as much as say, those in The Sound of Music. It's understated almost to a fault, a sheltered princess shouldn't necessarily be a dumbass but ... there is a pleasure in watching Ann be excited about the simple things.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy, but don't be a dick either.

5 Kung Fu Panda 4

 I'm such a big fan of the first one, but ... They made this out of a studio mandate and completely stripped the character from it. The ...