-->

Monday, January 1, 2018

#1: Lady Bird (2017)


So welcome, I'm going to put more full-fledged reviews on this blog, but you can check out the listings without all the guff from 2015 - present here, let's get started with our first film of the year.
Snapshots of a time I was too young for and an unusual future sight into post 2008-recession.


I feel like there are lots of things that could have been explored, like why the brother is a completely different race from the rest of his family, and I did think they were going to lead into that when Lady Bird mentioned that once her family lived in Brazil, like her mother had him out of wedlock, but the timelines wouldn't match up.

It's all so very early 00's, a movie about a girl in near-poverty with dreams of grandeur and a social-climber attitude. Can't hate.

Sure it's about this teenage girl coming of age story, but it's more potent to me as the above the myth of upward mobility for middle to lower-income Americans, and this was in 2002, it really has only gotten worse.

Sure, I've taken away the wrong part of the movie but still. It's a movie. I can take away whatever meaning I want.

Overall, it was a curiosity to watch, it's consistent in it's technical aspects, but I'm not sure how people are considering it a wunderkind movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy, but don't be a dick either.

5 Kung Fu Panda 4

 I'm such a big fan of the first one, but ... They made this out of a studio mandate and completely stripped the character from it. The ...