-->

Monday, January 6, 2020

How About Them Globes? (Golden Globes 2020)

New year, new movies, new award shows, new surprises!


I feel that I heard vague things about "1917" and then it came out of nowhere to win Best Movie, Drama. It seems genuinely interesting, for a war film, and would shake up the other bland offerings on display during the Oscars (Let's be real, a lot of innovative films are not being chosen for Best Picture).


One film that may be nominated is "The Farewell" - After all, the HFPA did give Nora "Awkwafina, blaccent in the streets, Normal Voice on the Stage" Lum the award for Best Actress in A Comedy.




I would love "Parasite" to be nominated for Best Picture, and apparently industry bigwigs have had not a single bad thing to say about it, which is surprising in a very 'diverse for money, not for being good people' industry. It got Best Foreign Language film, and that's something to be happy for!





I don't know if "Rocketman" can carry that momentum to Best Picture, but I was genuinely mildly happy to see Taron "I don't know if I can trust women after #MeToo" Egerton win for best Actor in a Comedy or Musical.

Speaking of "Rocketman", Let's be honest, "I'm Gonna Love Me Again" had the 3rd worst chance of winning.

But it won! And while I didn't watch Rocketman in full (It just didn't grab me), I like the song.

The "Cats" train ends here, as "Beautiful Ghosts" wasn't even on the shortlist for the Oscars. Pity, I like that too.

The one "Joker" win I'm fine with?  Hildur Guðnadóttir for Best Original Score. First woman composer to win a Golden Globe! I wonder if the HFPA knew that, because until she walked on stage, I thought 'Hildur' was the masculine version of 'Hilda'.

"Frozen II" got iced out, as it didn't win best song (As I was thinking it would) or Best Animated Feature. That honor goes to the Once-Eternal Bridesmaids at LAIKA, for "Missing Link". I didn't see it. Maybe I should.

What this says is important: "Missing" maintained what "Spider-verse" started last year - You can break the Disney hold if you're A) Different enough (Sorry, "Dragons 3") and B) Against a ton of sequels and remakes by the Mouse House.

That's a lot of...stipulations to break a monopoly, I know.

Next year will be very different, as all 3 of Disney's Animated offerings ("Onward", "Soul", "Raya And the Last Dragon") are original features in 2020. There will be one token bit of foreign animation, but who will take the last spot? The only other animated film I know of that *might* be coming is Sony's "The Mitchell's Vs. The Machines".


I thought "Judy" and "The Two Popes" were television shows, limited series, not movies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy, but don't be a dick either.

5 Kung Fu Panda 4

 I'm such a big fan of the first one, but ... They made this out of a studio mandate and completely stripped the character from it. The ...