-->

Thursday, January 16, 2020

#2: Klaus

So #2 was going to be something completely different until Oscar noms hit and I had seen a whopping...0/5 nominees.

Good on Netflix for getting two submissions in, Laika, Dreamworks, and Pixar with 1.

And nothing but "Into the Unknown" for Frozen II...when we all know it should have been "Show Yourself". Whatever.

Onto "Klaus"

My biggest issue with this is that the story is really nothing special. It's the art style and animation that makes it a delight. Sometimes you'll get these bits of super contemporary music that are at complete odds with the actual setting and tone of the story, and I don't care for it.

So much about this reminded me of the underrated modern classic "Arthur Christmas", a movie which never fails to cheer me up, and I wish that had been animated like this.

There really is not a ton to say about this movie besides "it's fine" and "the ending is very sweet." and "Hey J.K Simmons isn't shouting all the time."

I don't dislike it! Though knowing the differences in lighting darker skinned people in cinema, I wonder how this art style would look like with a diverse cast with variations of lighting techniques. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy, but don't be a dick either.

5 Kung Fu Panda 4

 I'm such a big fan of the first one, but ... They made this out of a studio mandate and completely stripped the character from it. The ...