-->

Thursday, January 9, 2020

#1: Dolemite Is My Name

A man steals stories to finally hit the big leagues with a Blaxploitation movie after creating a character.

(Well, yeah, he steals them)

The production value and design of the homes reminds me greatly of my own family when I was a little girl visiting relatives that never updated their interior decorating from the 70s when I was born in the early 90s.

I'm not one to be prudish about crass humor but some of this was quite shocking. The film is rated R though. The jokes aren't even funny, they just rhyme and are crass.

Maybe it's a cultural context I'm missing.

There's a really nice segment where Toney tells Rudy "You can't will yourself into being a moviestar." and Rudy says "Well, I did it to become a comedy star."

There's also a moment where a character goes "I've been directed by Roman Polanski!" and yeah, imagine watching that in a crowd of cinemaphiles. The looks!

But a lot of cinemaphiles value art over humanity so they'd probably clap and applaud. Be better, ya'll!

It's all about a man's determined innovation. Imagine how easier it is in the modern day.

Also, I had no idea this was based on real events or a real story until the end. Maybe it was mentioned at the beginning and I spaced out but I was super surprised to see actual footage from the film.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy, but don't be a dick either.

5 Kung Fu Panda 4

 I'm such a big fan of the first one, but ... They made this out of a studio mandate and completely stripped the character from it. The ...