-->

Wednesday, July 24, 2019

Book Look: Warcross by Marie Lu

It's amazing how many Marie Lu books I've come across but never picked up until now. Mainly because this cover is pretty, it was in the clearance section, and it was the only one signed.

The setup is similar to the stories of 'old', and by 'old' I mean 'circa 2009 - 2012'. Talented girl is tough but poor, exposes her talent, brought into a rich world, there's only one other female character with any kind of presence, falls in love with rich dude.

My cover is white and rainbow-y!



It's very reminiscent of The Hunger Games, except I don't think the main character, Emika, would be whitewashed in the film adaptation.

One great thing about "Warcross" is that the world is not 90% shithole like in "The Hunger Games", but instead she's just a ward of the state after her father's death 7 years ago who has had to bounty hunt to keep a pitiful roof over her head. There are plenty of people who have a more comfortable living, though I feel the middle class is probably being squeezed out.

It's YA in the truest sense of the world, not challenging, but Lu is a talented writer, I'd like to read something more serious from her. The sequel, "Wildcard", came out last year, and I'm not too compelled to read more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy, but don't be a dick either.

5 Kung Fu Panda 4

 I'm such a big fan of the first one, but ... They made this out of a studio mandate and completely stripped the character from it. The ...