-->

Tuesday, August 21, 2018

#64: To All The Boys I've Loved Before


East Asian people bringing back the rom com!

It's subdued but also cheerful in it's way. I'm happy to see that Lana Condor has a role where she can speak more than two lines, let alone being the lead!

Also, when did Netflix originals get such high production value.

Lara Jean has two sisters - The distant and capable Margot and possibly my favorite character, the snappy and smart Kitty.

She writes letters she never plans to send to crushes - Five letters, to five guys, though only two have a large role in the story (Though one turns into the Gay Best Friend!)

I don't think this should be clocking in at an hour and a half. Maybe 1:15.

As someone who doesn't feel strongly about wanting a fairytale romance - or any at all - I didn't fall head over heels in love with this film.



Despite what this past year would suggest, I'm not a very big romantic comedy fan.

It's predictable with all the beats, and you're disappointed that a girl who spends time reading romance novels doesn't know better when the mean girl is trying to get her ex back.

The only real twist is that she's in love (Or, was) with her sister's boyfriend. Apparently this is a book series. If the sequel is made, I'd love to see more of her friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy, but don't be a dick either.

5 Kung Fu Panda 4

 I'm such a big fan of the first one, but ... They made this out of a studio mandate and completely stripped the character from it. The ...