-->

Friday, April 12, 2019

Book Look: Ronan Boyle and The Bridge of Riddles by Thomas Lennon


The Old School:
Harry, Percy, and Artemis.
You don't need last names. You know who they are.

The Middling School; Very few people read these books so if I name dropped them in casual conversation, who would know:

Darren Shan...

Maybe Eragon? But that was kind of popular.

Oh - Nathaniel (Who? You'll see).

The New School:
Arthur Whipple (The Fantastic Family Whipple), Benjamin Ripley (Spy School), and now, I suppose Ronan Boyle.



Man, young white boys on mostly magical adventures written in somewhat snarky tones have definitely permeated middle grade books for the past 20 years, haven't they.



I could arguably put in Dashiell from the Moon Base Alpha series, he's only part white, and it's by the same author as the Spy School series. It's really entertaining, mysteries! ON THE MOON!

Yes, if I wasn't reading talking animals, I was reading 'White boys on magical adventures' books, and I daresay they have shaped who I am as a person.

This feels like a combination of The Bartimaeus Trilogy (Where the aforementioned Nathaniel is from), Cirque Du Freak, and what I imagine Skulduggery Pleasant is (I only read part of that one).

But Ronan Boyle has promise to be an exceptionally standout series. It would have helped me, as a Yankee, to be introduced into the magical world of Irish Folklore ala Harry Potter, but Irish folklore is a real thing, unlike Boggarts and Quidditch; I just looked up what I didn't understand, and the footnotes help.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy, but don't be a dick either.

5 Kung Fu Panda 4

 I'm such a big fan of the first one, but ... They made this out of a studio mandate and completely stripped the character from it. The ...