-->

Sunday, December 23, 2018

#75: Aquaman

The posters are so nice for this movie, I really couldn't decide which one to use.

They reflect the 80's, out under this world wild glow that Atlantis is surrounded by, and the score certainly helps.

Pitbull's rendition of Toto's Africa a bit less so.

The 6th movie in the much-maligned DC Extended Universe, and critically their second-best one to boot, although that's more a case of "Not as bad" and less "Genuinely good on its own merits".

Before DC fans whip out the doxxing - These people are insane - I'm one of you. And there are plenty of things I liked about this movie.

Besides "talks to fish" and "laughingstock", I'm not familiar with Aquaman at all; This movie raised some questions for me;


Can someone else become Ocean Master, or just Orm/Arthur because their mother was Atlanna?

Sure that isn't necessarily important to the plot, that's what Marvel establishes a little bit better, that's why they start with single origin stories, but this doesn't bother me a ton.

The humor is spot on for me as well; I love Mera and her quips, and I like Arthur's style too, which is new to me, as I've not seen Justice League and have 0 plans to. They have different kinds of smarts, and they work well together.

I really like the fact that Arthur's lineage comes from his mother and how heavily it influences him, how much he loves her.

There's been reviews about certain people (Patrick Wilson) taking this movie and their role way too seriously, but I like it. I'm glad DC is trying to bring some conflict and having actors who want to treat the material seriously instead of making the villains quippy joke-fests.

Though nearly every conversation ending with an explosion got real tired, real quick. Though I did enjoy the final fight of the movie (it gave us the best shot in the movie that was seen in the second trailer) - it was clear, visible, and while CGI, not a totally CGI mess like Black Panther's was.

I enjoyed this a lot more than Infinity War

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy, but don't be a dick either.

5 Kung Fu Panda 4

 I'm such a big fan of the first one, but ... They made this out of a studio mandate and completely stripped the character from it. The ...