-->

Friday, November 30, 2018

#72: Paddington (2014)

While very charming, I'm not 100% sure how this is seen as one of the crown jewels of cinema in this decade.

As you know, the genre of "British books being made into movies" is not as old as time immaterial, but it has grown in recent years.

It makes me want a decent Madeline movie. The one from the late 90's was fine.

With no history or recollection of reading about Paddington Bear, going into this is a lot different than going into Peter Rabbit or A Monster Calls.

I like the breaks in standard camera work like rapid zoom-ins and sliding shots paired with voice overs.

The comical stuff with the villain (Nicole Kidman, who you will be seeing a lot more of this month) is kind of the downfall. I wish it was just this bear learning things (even if I get a little exasperated by it at times).





There were no hamfisted pop-music references - Instead we have a band of black men who show up occasionally in alleyways to sing songs. Gross out humor is kept to a minimum. The film is separated into two points of conflict - Learning the human world and not being killed, which it handles neatly.

It leans into that rather droll humor a lot, I love it, especially when it's dragged out for half a minute and you're hit with a hilarious conclusion.

I have no reason to dislike this movie, but I'm missing all of the insane love.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy, but don't be a dick either.

5 Kung Fu Panda 4

 I'm such a big fan of the first one, but ... They made this out of a studio mandate and completely stripped the character from it. The ...