-->

Sunday, November 19, 2023

Blue Eye Samurai

 Watch the first episode for free;



Posted this review before I saw one of the creators is Zionist, damn, well. That sucks. Free Palestine.

 

I came across this on a complete whim, as I pulled up Netflix to rewatch The Last Airbender and said "Well, let me give this a shot - an hour long? Idk man..."

But something about it captivated me easily.

You don't see the violence against women outside of some roughhousing and fights - You get the idea of how harsh and unfair this world is toward them without a rape scene. You get context clues.

A few nitpicks I've seen are that the voice actors are somewhat jarring and bad, as most are not trained in the art. Millennials and older Gen Z may recognize Brenda Song, who, while maybe not trained, has done a 3 or 4 season stint of voice acting on Disney's Amphibia.

I can't say I agree. It's all tolerable, even quite distinct. I know some people said Randall Park was particularly egregious but his work was one I liked the most.

The entire plot and story of Mizu is its strongest asset, and Maya Erskine is great (she has a fair amount of voice acting credits). 

My only real criticism is using contemporary songs during some fight scenes. It's very "This is an AMV from 2008". The score is strong enough to stand on its own to accompany the stunning visuals, and we better get a season 2.

It's on Netflix.

5 Kung Fu Panda 4

 I'm such a big fan of the first one, but ... They made this out of a studio mandate and completely stripped the character from it. The ...