-->

Friday, February 7, 2020

#5: Birds of Prey



"Why didn't they just do Gotham City Sirens?"

Is something that was said a lot about this movie. Mainly so that people could have Barbara Gordon as Oracle, and less to push Harley onto another girl gang.

My knowledge of comics comes from a handful of Youtube channels, so I didn't know. After seeing this...I do wish we had seen that, simply because A) Catwoman and Poison Ivy are only two new characters.  "Birds" has about 4, and quite a few of them get shafted, partially ignored, and underused.

I had totally forgotten Huntress (Film wise, I have always enjoyed seeing Mary Elizabeth Winstead, and this is no exception) was even in this movie until she was officially name dropped.

One aspect I enjoyed was the score, especially whenever the diamond was mentioned. You hear it specifically when Cassandra (In name only, I'm told, but still, I enjoyed Ella Jay Basco) is in the cop car.




The ending is rushed, and it could have used more time that they spend doing the "Let's recap it from this point of view now." shtick in the beginning, though it fits Harley's manic mindset.

I have never heard of Roman Sionis and Victor Zsasz before this movie, and I, quite surprisingly, did enjoy Ewan McGregor's Sionis. The menace and sophistication that wasn't the typical restrained sophistication but someone on the edge was great and fun to watch.

The one character I was really, really here for, was Jurnee Smollett-Bell's Black Canary, and she absolutely delivered. I adored her and adored her fighting, reluctance in 90% of the movie, and of course her Canary Cry.

It was just really great to see ladies kicking ass, struggling, and not being filmed under the male gaze. Harley isn't wearing ridiculous shit like pinky-length shorts anymore.
There *is* a woman being stripped and humiliated, and it's not shown in a titillating manner.

People bitched that these women 'weren't sexy enough'. So, not only do people (men) have very narrow expectations for what 'sexy' is, they are also blind. Black Canary is amazing and beautiful and I died every time Huntress was fighting and shooting someone. And Harley fighting! How do you not think that's hot!

The ladies may be showing cleavage but the camera doesn't linger there. That made it refreshing enough, but it's the charm that manages to shine through, even though most of the titular Birds of Prey have a minimal presence and impact for much of the story.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy, but don't be a dick either.

5 Kung Fu Panda 4

 I'm such a big fan of the first one, but ... They made this out of a studio mandate and completely stripped the character from it. The ...