-->

Tuesday, January 8, 2019

#2: The Favourite



Perhaps 'tis a strange way to put it, but there's a weird...1/4th fish-eye lense happening on occasion. I counted twice within the first four minutes alone.

It swoops from one end of the long hallways to a character at the other end.

Nicholas Hoult is surprisingly good in this foppish, detached kind of role. I wish he was getting a bit more attention for this performance.

I can't say I've seen too many roles of Emma Stone's - The Croods stands out, and the first hour of La La Land - so it's far too early for me to say "She's playing herself" when I have such a small frame of reference, but...more research is needed.

If anything, I certainly did not expect this movie to be about two cousins trying to curry favor with a queen out of her mind by fucking her.

That's ... the most concise way I can sum up this movie.

Besides that tiny bit of Lanthimos flair where you get the feeling that this is an alternative universe because of minute details in the actions of the characters. It's certainly not as ... ominous as The Killing of A Sacred Deer. It's funny in a "Oh, who expected the posh English royals to act this way, hur hur," but the humor stops pretty quickly.

I think this has a far better chance of being nominated for Best Picture over Mary Queen of Scots.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy, but don't be a dick either.

5 Kung Fu Panda 4

 I'm such a big fan of the first one, but ... They made this out of a studio mandate and completely stripped the character from it. The ...