-->

Thursday, November 28, 2019

Servant (Apple TV+)


You know, when I read that M. Night was going to get his own show on Apple TV+, I shrugged. I had watched "The Sixth Sense" (fine) and "The Last Airbender" (abomination) and left it at that.

No "Split", no "Glass", no "Devil", no "Unbreakable".

Good to know that he has climbed from media-maker purgatory. I mean that sincerely. Everyone's entitled to a few bad shows.

But I wasn't really here for it so far. Nothing personal, I wasn't here for 99% of anything on any streaming service.


But goddamn it, they knew what they had to do to get me to watch this, they knew who they had to cast, and by god, they did it.


I couldn't say no now! This could be the first actual good thing he's been in since 2017! And here we are, nearly a year later, and what do we have?

Servant follows a Philadelphia couple "in mourning after an unspeakable tragedy creates a rift in their marriage and opens the door for a mysterious force to enter their home."

Don't you hate it when that happens? Absolutely annoying.

The series will be written by Tony Basgallop. Toby Kebbell and Lauren Abrose will star in the show with Rupert Grint.
Mild spoilers near the end for something that came out...about 8 hours ago.

It's a lovely kitchen. What I can see of it.

Three episodes of Fake babies, vampires (maybe), and Philadelphia.

 Philly is the most frightening part of that sentence.

(Also, on another site, someone posted "Imagine being so rich you can afford to pay for a live in nanny for your fake baby. Eat the rich."

You know what? Mood.)

Also, the kicker - It's possibly Golden Globe worthy. As you can see from my blogs, I do not know a ton about the Globes. It's about television. Also it was originally made by car salesman. But wow, it's so nice when an actor you follow has award talk!

This poor woman is destroyed at the loss of her baby, her husband is just insanely tired of the charade, the brother is confused, and the nanny is probably a vampire. Or a fairy. And a fairy is probably the worse option.

Look, I get the story is sad and shit but please, let's turn a light on.


 Please I beg of you he is too much of a babe to be half in shadow!! Fix it Jesus!!

These people are rich. I can't see.  This isn't "Revenge of The Sith".

This house is beautiful!


It's dark and moody and suspicious (and surprisingly funny at times, Grint walks right in and steals the show) but I'd like my darkness with a little more punch.

I like things that are openly dark and psychological - Hell, my favorite books involve demons and werewolves and zombies and vampires in wars.

I enjoyed "Us" and "Midsommar", and those are a lot more...active in their ... pain, so to speak.

But  if they keep moving at this pace, I'm probably not sticking around. I wish they had slowed down a bit...I mean, after episode one, the fake baby comes to LIFE! Let an arm move and draw suspense. And this has already been renewed for season 2, so...what else is gonna happen? I'm both curious and going "Well, the problem is solved...."

Between this and "The Elephant Queen", AppleTV+ really likes making horrendously grim stuff. "Depress yourself for 4.99$ a month!"

At least that one kind of cheered up near the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy, but don't be a dick either.

5 Kung Fu Panda 4

 I'm such a big fan of the first one, but ... They made this out of a studio mandate and completely stripped the character from it. The ...