-->

Friday, October 5, 2018

#67: A Star Is Born (2018)

I make an effort to watch the movies that look like they will win Best Picture.

You know, there are a lot of singers and models who try to make the leap into acting. I've not seen Epic or Obsessed, and we'll have to wait until next year for The Lion King, so I have nothing to say against Beyonce in the acting department.

Didn't see Battleship, but I did see Valerian; It could have been worse for Rihanna. Besides "Space!", "Wow cool CGI", and "kickass worldbuilding!" the saving grace of that movie was Cara Delevingne.

But Lady Gaga is really talented here, so stand down Little Monsters.

*Spoilers*


She plays that "I'm overwhelmed by this world but I'm not going to let anyone push me around." character really well, I totally, completely forgot that she was an international pop sensation. I can't wait to see what she does next on the acting front!

This is Bradley Cooper's first directing attempt and the pacing is very impressive to me; The time absolutely flies. We could do with less montages, and Dave Chappelle's character for five minutes wasn't necessary, but it's enjoyable enough and doesn't take too much time.

It must be rather awkward to direct yourself. You must be a lot more critical of yourself.

The music is genuinely good, even if the genre is not quite your style - I like rock in this vein so I find myself humming a lot of tunes, especially "Shallows".

I have a feeling the movie wanted us to think the British Manager was a bad guy, but besides being a bit pushy towards Ally - he wasn't.

He was absolutely truthful in telling Jackson that she loves you too much to say this but you're a drunk fuckup and you almost cost her her career. I've had to live with alcoholics and say the same thing. It's a disease, yes, but when it fucks up other people's lives, all bets are off.

I knew what would happen, having see a small spoiler, and it makes the very unsubtle neon board outside of the bar Jackson meets Ally in [highlight for spoilers] Where there are shadows of nooses hanging on a rainbow background as a "Anti LGBQT Suicide" ad odd.

I'll be extremely surprised if this does not ride it out to win at least two Oscars. I'm glad the musical is back - and better than The Greatest Showman.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy, but don't be a dick either.

5 Kung Fu Panda 4

 I'm such a big fan of the first one, but ... They made this out of a studio mandate and completely stripped the character from it. The ...