-->

Friday, April 7, 2023

3: The Super Mario Bros. Movie

 

 After years of deliberation, hateration, holleration, in this dancery, finally, the moment has arrived -- The Super Mario Bros. are back in theaters, 30 years after their last disastrous outing.

For a time circa 2014 -- 2016, I really liked Chris Pratt. Those times are over, and I'm trying to not let my personal feelings about the man color my impression of his work. Unlike other people, I do admit that he is a voice actor, not particularly a good one, but at this point, after being in "The LEGO Movie", its sequel, and "Onward", he fits the bill.

But he's not awful. I forgot it was him after about 10 minutes.  Miss Anya is worse. Peach gets some zingers that would be better with better delivery. Not everyone with a voice is a voice actor!

On the other side, I have been a Jack Black fan for nearly decades at this point and in the trailer, his Bowser does slip into comical accidentally, but here, it's 100% all the time. When it's menacing, whoo boy, I love it.

Somehow, the part I adored is the Jungle Kingdom? I am even less of a DK fan than I am a Mario fan (SEGA does what NINTENDON'T, of course), but Donkey Kong was probably my favorite.

In short, we have to talk about the elephant in the room; Is this better than either Sonic the Hedgehog Movie?

They're two different types of movies: Sonic movies have a narrative, as trite and clumsy as they are, and they integrate touches of Mobius into our world.

This is just straight up "OH I KNOW THAT," , "I RECOGNIZE THAT", and no story. If this had been a Sonic movie with all the references, it still would be very slight.

 This is winning no awards (Except animation for characters at The Annies). This is getting no nominations.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy, but don't be a dick either.

5 Kung Fu Panda 4

 I'm such a big fan of the first one, but ... They made this out of a studio mandate and completely stripped the character from it. The ...